Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Initial Equipment Purchases

For my first equipment purchases I didn't want to go overboard, buy too much and spend a lot of money. Really, at this point I'm not sure if I'll even enjoy doing this. So I want to try and use anything that I already have at home and purchase only the minimal amount of equipment.

I already have a fairly decent sized stockpot (I can't remember the exact size but 8 quarts is at the brim) that I can use for my boiling pot. I was given about 30 24oz bottles. And I already have sugar and water.

The items that I did need to purchase are:
  • Obviously the ingredients. The list of ingredients will come on another post with the recipe that I used.
  • The last time I did any kind of siphoning, I siphoned gasoline out of a car and ended up swallowing some.. too much. So I purchased an auto siphon to make that a little easier. And, of course, the tubing. And at the other end I have a bottle filler to help easily fill the bottles.
  • Since I want to bottle right now, I bought a bottle capper and bottle caps.
  • A straining bag will also be helpful. The one I bought is a bit big but should still work just fine.
So really there wasn't too much for me to buy. That was good. It's nice to start a hobby with not a lot of investment.

No comments: