Saturday, January 10, 2009

2 Litter CO2 Nozzle

When testing out recipes, there's a need to do small batches. Sure I could put a small batch in one of my 5 gallon kegs and carbonate from there, but that almost seems like a waste. And also since I'm new to all of this especially carbonating, I don't know if a 1 gallon recipe in 5 gallon keg may not carbonate as well or at all.

At homebrewing supply shops as well as online, I've come across adapters that fit a quick connect for a CO2 cylinder and a 2 little plastic soda bottle. An adapter like this would certainly allow for making a small recipe. The supply shop that I've been going to sells this commercial product; it's plastic and I'm sure does a great job. I could, however, pay a few dollars more for some used keg parts and have something that will last me forever.

These are the parts that I bought (my supply guy has these parts already available to do this):

A CO2 cylinder adapter, ferret, spacer, two soft washers (for sealing), metal washer (for sturdiness on the plastic 2 litter bottle cap), and a back part that'll screw into the nozzle.

After putting it all together it looks like this:

I had to put it together back and forth a few times trying different orders for the washers but finally got it to seal properly without any leaks.

Cost: $25.

No comments: